Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the fabulous people over at The Broke and TheBookish. Each week they offer up a topic, and everyone is welcome to join. So here is mine for this week—Top 10 Popular Authors I Have Never Read. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be! It’s really difficult coming up with authors you haven’t read, when there are so many you have read running through your mind. I’m also finding that with most popular authors I think of—Steven King, Danielle Steele, Dan Brown, Gregory Maguire—I’ve read at least one of their books!
I’ve decided to split this up into two groups: those I should’ve definitely read by now, and those that I have made conscious choices not to read!
The Conscious Choice List
1. E.L. James, author of the 50 Shades of Gray series. I don’t have anything against 50 Shades of Gray, I just have too much else to read to make myself do it.
2. Jane Austen. Just typing the name puts me to sleep.
3. George R.R. Martin. These books are just so long, and after having watched the first season of the show, I really don’t have any desire to read these books anytime soon.
4. William Shakespeare. Okay, so we have all had to read Shakespeare in high school, but I’m including him because I haven’t done it since I was in high school, and I probably never will!
The Ones I Must Read!
5. Orson Scott Card. Ugh, I have got to read Ender’s Game!!!
6. Wally Lamb. Another author that I have been meaning to read, but just haven’t had enough time yet!
7. Toni Morrison. I mean, the lady won the Pulitzer Prize. I have got to get on this. Also, when I went to the National Book Festival a few years ago, her line was approximately 9,000 miles long. That says something, right?
8. Khaled Hosseini. I really need to read The Kite Runner, and now A Thousand Splendid Suns has been added to my list, too.
That’s really all I can think of, but I think I’m seeing a trend. All the popular authors that I haven’t read write for adults. I guess I’m just not ready to be a grown-up yet. J